Monday, April 29, 2013

Capturing Memories



So lately I've had a strong urge to start filming memories again. My family and friends (3 are engaged and 2 are having another baby!) are in a big period of change. So I really want to capture these memories before they fade away.

The constant desire and joy I get from photography, film, and music came from my Papa as growing up he always had a camera in hand. In my parent's home we have boxes full of home movies and some of my most treasured memories now are of going home and re-watching these memories together. 

Fortunately when I moved to the east coast from California one of my best friend's Greg gifted me this flip camera, I remember very clearly the note he wrote along with it: "You're going to see and do many amazing things in this new chapter of your life and I want you to capture them." Tear. Well for the first 2 years I did, I carried my flip cam everywhere and started making imovies and posted them to my Facebook so all of my family and friends back home could see what I'd been up to. My parents would get so excited to watch them and I equally found a lot of joy putting them together. All this footage that I had recorded was great because whenever I felt homesick I'd watch videos that I had recorded on my laptop and it gave me a lot of comfort and happiness.

After leaving my videotaping ways on the back burner, I'm going to start using this little guy again and begin filming again. Videotaping home movies has always reminded me of the things that matter and it's also nice to see how much things have changed over time. So here I go...


P.s. This year for my birthday, I told my family and friends that I wanted to film a music video. Umm can you imagine how excited I am for this? I'm currently working on the treatment (i.e. storyboard). It's going to be very a-la "22."

P.P.S. When I told my brother that he had to be in the music video he replies "umm we're not the Kardashians..." LOL.

Also...

*One of the imovies I made 3 summers back.

* DESIGN LOVE FEST talks about starting to record home movies with her boyfriend. Very cute indeed.

*This dad video taped his kids coming down the stairs on Christmas morning for 25 years.

* Marriage proposal to Bruno Mars' "Marry You" = best idea ever.

*imovie app and the best video cameras.

How do you capture memories?

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. Once you have the bug for visual storytelling, it has a way of popping up again and again. Happy filmmaking and best of luck with the music video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Thanks for stopping by Eric! What's your favorite storytelling project that you've told?

      Delete