Wednesday, October 7, 2015

What Helps Me Slow Down...


Ninety-percent of the time I feel like I have this work-life balance thing figured out. However there are time periods where everything is hectic, all feels like a blur, and life has me feeling like I'm in a literal whirlwind. Last week I felt like that. The school year has been well underway and with all of my new and exciting responsibilities, I found myself continually on the go with no break in sight. I had a moment over the weekend where I just turned into mush, laid on the ground and sobbed thinking about how overwhelmed I was. 

Once I had many deep breaths and a nurturing conversation with a colleague of mine, I picked myself up and decided to do something about my hectic schedule and talked to my boss to help me figure it out. Later I had a long cuddle sesh with my beloved Penelope and a loving conversation with my love. When the day was over I felt so grateful with all of the wonderful lessons of self care that I have learned throughout my life and the supportive people that I choose to have in my life who love me in the right ways. 

So I just wanted to share some of the things I do to help me slow down. I feel so fortunate for all of these.


*When I'm riding home on the train and thinking about my work day and need a little pick-me up, I scroll through pictures and videos on my phone of my cat Penelope. She's so tender and a wonderful love bug and looking at pictures of her puts a smile on my face and helps me feel less anxious.


*I take at least a 20min break at some point in my work day to read something completely un-work related. It's usually people.com or one of my favorite blogs but just tuning out for a moment helps recharge for the rest of my day.


*I make it a priority to work out about five times a week. I'm obsessed with yoga, barre, and boxing at the moment and they all help me to relieve stress, remind me why self care is so important, and give me a jolt of positive energy. Yes thank you Pure Barre instructor for motivating me by excitedly saying "how good do you want your booty to look when you walk in that bathing suit?!" totally ridiculous, totally inspiring! ;p 



*Nurturing my creative side always helps me zone out and so zen. Whether it's painting, letter writing, piano, or knitting, creating is my sacred time.


*Going for a walk on Fridays has become a big part of my self care routine and helps me cleanse away the work week. Being around nature or discovering a new part of my city is just good for my heart...literally. 

*I take a lot of baths. I look forward to it, the bubbles, lighting candles, and reading is just so decompressing. I do some of my greatest thinking in the tub. :)

Xoxo.


No comments:

Post a Comment