Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Don't Think.


1
I was having a conversation with a good friend of mine a few weeks ago and I was thinking out loud about my thoughts on this new person that I'm dating {more on that later} and I was analyzing something really sweet he had said and in the middle of my rambling he stopped me and goes "Elvia don't think, why are you thinking about this? Just allow yourself to be." It stopped me dead in my tracks. He went on to tell me "Remember that day we were all hanging out at that packed bar and you played a Taylor Swift song on the juke box and just sang and danced around the bar? You weren't thinking, you just lived in the moment, and it was the first time I saw you truly happy again since the summer." Well needless to say he had a point, a lot of them. This is the way I want to try and continue to live life, not thinking and just being present. 



Everything that my friend told me stayed with me so much more because a few days later as I was reading Amy Phoeler's memoir Yes Please. It talked about UCB's motto as being don't think and she goes on to say "it now serves as the guiding principle for our school and theater. Don't think. Get out of your head. Stop planning and just go."

So I've set this as my new motto. I focus on not thinking about anything that is happening more than a week ahead and when I'm in the moments of life, I'm just living those moments. I'm enjoying it and cherishing all of these moments so dearly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment