Friday, July 12, 2013

Growing Out My Short Hair {and the angst it's giving me}

1
When a journalist asked Michelle Williams about how the process of growing out her hair was going she stated that "the mid-stage is insufferable." Well I couldn't agree more. I've decided that I want to grow out my hair {again...yes again} but this middle stage is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Okay, I need to stop being so dramatic for a second. This process hasn't been the most fun and there are days where I think "Oh I'm loving my hair today! I want to have it short forever!" or "I love how it's looking at this length" then others were I want to go Britney Spears circa 2009 and take it all off.

So I decided that I needed to be proactive about this whole thing and figure out how to make this lengthy process easier #1stWorldProblems.

After the countless research and vlogs I watched about growing out short hair I learned a few key things and they are:
8

1. Get a Haircut!
Despite the myth that trimming hair will stunt hair growth, regular trims will ensure a healthier outcome. Chad Taylor, a celebrity hair stylist and co-owner of Vancouver's Moods Hair Salon believes "it's very important to keep ends trimmed while growing your hair out so that they don't fray or split," he says. "By removing small amounts of hair regularly, your ends will not break or become thin at the bottom in the long term."

Taylor recommends visiting your hairstylist every six to eight weeks to keep your cut looking fresh. Since hair grows an average of half an inch per month, regular micro-trims will still allow your hair to grow at a decent pace [2]. So I scheduled my haircut for Monday... can it come any sooner?!

7

2. Accessorize
Taylor suggests that "headbands are a good option as they are stylish and can keep the hair away from your face, but avoid over-bobby pinning and clipping your hair since that can look messy [3]." Right now I'm really loving all of the hair accessories from Ban.do especially this barrette I wear religiously.

6
3. Try Bangs
A subtle change to your haircut may create the illusion of length. "If you start to become frustrated with your hair, usually a slight adjustment to the haircut will make it look more balanced," Taylor says. "Sometimes adding fringe or bangs can make the rest of your hair look longer."

As for what type of bangs would suit your face best, talk to your stylist about your face shape and hair texture. Avoid trying to make any adjustments on your own [4].

I hope all of these fab tips help any of you. They definitely calm my hair angst and make this process easier.


* A Londoner's hair journey, so cute.  

* Loving how Michelle Williams is growing out her hair.

* A step-by-step guide to growing out your hair with grace.

+ A halo braid tutorial for cropped hair! Love, doing this today!

5
 + Do you follow my Pinterest board Hair Today Gone Tomorrow? Mosey here to check it out. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment