Friday, March 8, 2013

Do You Like Spending Time Alone?

Traveling alone in Rome
Growing up in southern California, I had a great adolescence constantly surrounded by friends, family, and just being a social butterfly. However, when I went away to college and even more so when I moved to the east coast, I began to crave alone time. Living in the city I'm constantly surrounded by people: taking the train to work, all day at work, on the way home, out in the street, etc. I began really seeking out things I could do on my own and work on the relationship I had with well, myself.

Traveling alone means taking a lot of selfies but this prince statue doesn't mind and neither do I
The head of my favorite fashion haus DVF, Diane Von Furstenburg, once said "The most important relationship in your life is the relationship you have with yourself. Because no matter what happens, you will always be with yourself." So for the last few years I've been actively spending time to nurture this relationship. I now love going for runs on my own, cooking fantastic meals for myself, going to the movies by myself, bars, restaurants, mass, long walks, and traveling have become such a big part of my life. However whenever I run into people while out moseying around I always get the comment "wow you're here by yourself? That's brave!" and I always follow-up with a confused look.

Fontana di Trevi
 I've learned (through my experiences) that as a whole Americans aren't that comfortable with the idea of doing things alone. In a world where Girl's creator Lena Dunham proudly boasts “I am busy trying to become who I am" and many inspirational songs praise independence, why then do so many fear or are uncomfortable doing things on their own? So I wanted to hear your response, do you like spending time alone or do you prefer to be constantly amongst the company of others? 

I say this all the time 

* Six Reasons You Should Spend More Time Alone.
* 5 Ways to Spend Time Alone (and 14 Inspirational Quotes About Solitude). 
* A Great NY Times piece on the perils and freedoms of living alone. 
* I read Eat, Pray, Love and it completely changed my life. Would you ever travel alone to find your more  authentic self? 



No comments:

Post a Comment