Friday, November 16, 2012

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or My Attempt At No Longer Being a Clothes Hoarder

Lately I've been on an organization kick and this past weekend I spent a few hours re-organizing my clothes wardrobe. Needless to say it needed a huge overhaul. You know now that I think about it, my room has two modes either Neat Freak or Hoarders Paradise but now I'm trying to stay consistent with the first. Anyway, I wanted to set up a system that was sustainable. My problem is that I have a lot...a lot of clothes and yet whenever I do my "spring cleaning" I only toss out 3 items because somehow I always justify 5 reasons for why I should keep an item in my clothes repertoire (ya I'll totes have a place to wear this Indian sari inspired dress or I can't get rid of my 6th grade camp shirt because you know...I wore it to camp! The memories!) Well now that I'm such a mature adult I decided I needed to cut the nonsense, so the system I put in place is as follows: 

1. I took out ALL of my clothes and purged anything that I knew for sure I would not continue to wear or does not fit me anymore. After the purge only about 6 items were set aside to be donated.



2. Being that I can't let go, I decided to flip all of my hangers frontwards. So the short end would face me and after I wore an outfit I'd flip the hanger facing away from me. At the end of 6 months I'm going to get an accurate look at what I actually do wear and don't. Then I'll be able to real with myself and just let things go. Gawd I sound like hoarder...

3. Organize my shelves by: fancy dresses, toiletries, sweaters, and workout clothes. I bought a nifty clear organizing bin that separates all of my products I use daily (nail polish, face cleaner, lotion, etc.) 


 So far the system has been working and it has really helped me look at what I haven't worn in a while and make sure to make use of it. Go me.


                                                                                        

Before
After
   
Before
After

                                                               

                

No comments:

Post a Comment